Choosing the right SEO platform can be difficult with so many options, packages and capabilities to choose from. It can also be confusing and full of technical jargon: algorithms, URLs, on-page SEO; how does it all fit into the subject at hand?
Whether you’re upgrading from an existing SEO tool or seeking your first SEO platform, there’s a lot to consider.
Not only are there hundreds of tools that could help you scale your SEO and appear higher up the SERPs in search engines like Google, Bing and others, they each provide different features and capabilities, too. From all-inclusive platforms to more specific enterprise SEO tools that focuses on particular aspects of SEO, there are many options on the market that can help enhance your SEO strategy.
If choosing an SEO platform is a little dizzying, you’re in the right place.
We think an informed buyer is the best kind of customer.
So we’re here to offer you an overview of the best SEO platforms available so you can make the best decision based on your company’s and team’s needs. But, first it’s important to note that there is a difference between SEO platforms and SEO tools. We cover both kinds of SEO software in this post.
Note: This post was originally published in September 2019 and has been updated to reflect the latest information out there about the best SEO platforms on the market today.
What is an SEO Platform?
An enterprise level SEO platform allows you to research, devise, implement, manage, and measure every aspect of your search visibility. It's used to discover new topics and to manage content ideation and production, and to implement search engine optimization, or SEO, as part of a larger digital marketing strategy — all while continuously monitoring results.
And, that's just the beginning.
To align your entire digital marketing team, an SEO platform integrates all your data sources to provide a single source of truth: instead of working with information scattered across many tools and systems, SEO teams base their decisions on the complete data picture.
Essentially, SEO platforms are capable of providing big brands and agencies with the ability to execute any task within the SEO lifecycle.
The analytics and analysis is delivered in real-time, eliminating the need to add updates to a spreadsheet or access another data source and keep collecting over and over again. An all-in-one platform scales your SEO results to enable you to achieve consistent and repeatable SEO growth.
To start, we’ll tell you what the following SEO platforms deliver with a short description of each one.
Recommended Reading: SEO Platform for Digital Teams: How Enterprise Companies Use SEO Data to Win
The Value of an SEO Platform
What’s important with the software that I'm about to share with you is that you have a team that can leverage it. We recommend focusing on evaluating an all-in-one platform if at least two of the three apply:
- You plan to hire or have at least one dedicated SEO team member
- You have content marketers that support optimizing and writing content for your site
- Your need to scale your SEO efforts and centralize your processes and data to drive SEO growth
Because of its breadth and depth of data and capabilities, this kind of tech comes at a premium, so to get the most from your investment, you’ll need sufficient support to act on the insights. (For less expensive tech, consider a niche SEO tool.)
But once that's in place, the value you receive is unmatched. If you have the right talent in place, they’ll be supported by your new SEO platform to:
- Gather, manage and analyze data more easily and at scale using dashboards and automated reporting as well as additional automation
- Provide a single SEO source of truth and approach across your entire enterprise which:
- Reduces inefficiencies and drives scale
- Helps inter-department communication as everyone speaks the same SEO language
- Enables enterprise level SEO reporting as everyone’s using the same metrics
- Provides a single version of the truth that enables you to consistently identify clear, hard facts
- Prevent your organization from guessing when it comes to SEO
- Take a strategic, holistic approach to SEO that optimizes the customer search experience throughout the entire buyer journey
- Provide repeatable SEO workflows that deliver a consistent and trackable approach to SEO
Our research from our own clients who shift to an SEO platform shows that SEO professionals spend 77% of their working hours on analysis, data collection and reporting.
These platforms release that time so SEO professionals can generate insights, deliver strategy, and help others drive better SEO results. All of which gives you the organizational oversight that makes SEO scalable.
Which Platform is Best for SEO?
So, let's dive in! An all-inclusive SEO platform provides everything you need to scale your SEO and content. How do we know? Because this is where seoClarity fits into the SEO tools picture, as an all-in-one enterprise SEO platform. We’re not here to talk only about ourselves, but instead educate you on the different types of SEO platforms available.
The checklist we've included below highlights what should be included in every SEO platform so you can easily compare between different vendors.
SEO Platform Comparison
BrightEdge helps its customers create powerful content marketing strategies, build high-performing websites and identify SEO results and the associated return on investment plus performance versus the competition.
This SEO software provides users with research, rankings and recommendations that help you:
- Identify what customers are looking for on the internet
- Develop an effective content strategy that targets the right customers, guides them further down the sales funnel and keeps them engaged with your brand
- Boost your social media campaigns
- To be visible in local searches
- Put mobile consumers at the center of your SEO
Further Reading: Compare seoClarity to BrightEdge
Conductor believes that SEO is as simple as connecting customers who are searching for information with your company’s expertise.
They do this by providing ‘beyond the platform’ services that — similar to BrightEdge — uncover new customer insights, create powerful marketing content and track SEO performance. By performing advanced SEO tasks, like rank tracking, the platform generates insights that inform strategic digital services like content optimization and performance measurement.
And of course, their overall aim is to maximize the return on your search engine optimization and content marketing investment. If you want to know more, take a look at their app that provides an instant snapshot into your customers’ world.
Further Reading: Compare seoClarity vs. Conductor Searchlight
Want to be able to easily spot global and local search opportunities, support decision making and connect SEO with marketing strategy all with a clear link to revenue? SearchMetrics offers this through:
- Analysis of mobile search engine rankings and traffic to optimize search specifically across mobile devices
- Access to millions of data points across 30 countries
- Enabling you to drill down into data for hundreds of cities in 14 countries
- Optimizing web page performance with backlink analysis
- Optimal site architecture to make your site attractive to search engines
- Evaluating the effectiveness of paid search campaigns and comparing them to organic search results
- Identifying opportunities with keyword analysis and making web pages and content more complete
seoClarity (that's us!) gives our clients a single source of truth that allows them to simplify, structure, and scale their SEO within their organization.
Our platform seamlessly combines it all: content optimization, rank tracking, analytics, crawler capabilities, and more.
Instead of chasing the never ending algorithm updates and endless ranking factors, seoClarity focuses on delivering the best search experience for your user. Companies that turn their focus from search engine optimization to search experience optimization experience long term, consistent SEO results.
B2B ecommerce manufacturing company experiences 30% YOY organic search traffic growth after implementing the Search Experience Optimization Framework into their SEO strategy.
We try to make SEO as straightforward as possible so you can move away from planning and preparation into strategy execution. Your customers are out there — optimize your content to win the search visibility it deserves.
Our powerful platform allows you to scale your SEO to achieve consistent results. That's why nearly all of our package options come with a dedicated Client Success Manager to offer support when you need it.
And if you need help forming your data-driven strategies, our Professional Services Team is here to accelerate your SEO efforts.
If we had to sum up these enterprise SEO platforms we’d say that they:
- Provide comprehensive functionality
- Have the capabilities to provide insights
- Create actionable roadmaps
Here’s a popular resource from Search Engine Land, their annual enterprise SEO tools report that goes in deeper to these platforms and others to give you an even broader scope of the SEO tech industry.
Recommended Reading: Evaluating SEO Platforms? Here's What Client Success Support You Should Expect
Niche SEO Tools for Specific Tasks
If you don't have an SEO team to leverage the platform or if the cost of an SEO platform doesn't fit your budget, what’s the in-between option that could be a fit to improve your SEO traffic and conversions?
Different from SEO platforms, these are the more specific or specialized SEO tools, like keyword research, keyword ranking tracking, tools for the analysis of backlinks to inform your link building strategy, etc. They start from as little as $99 a month and could make sense for your business if you don’t have an SEO budget or you don’t have a team to act on the insights from an SEO roadmap.
Sound like you? Then take a look at any of the following brands:
- Semrush - includes a lot of different features within digital marketing from search to social media. This works well for experienced digital marketers who can turn the data into insights for themselves.
- Ahrefs - best known for their ability to analyze backlinks, they’ve also added a range of other features to their platform including ranking data, keyword research and competitiveness.
- Moz/GetStat - this recent merger provides a tool that combines GetStat’s daily, localized rankings and SERP analytics with Moz’s local SEO expertise and their keyword and link research tools.
- Authority Labs - has a more limited list of features than some other niche SEO tools and plans are priced by number of keywords per month. This could fit smaller businesses or those with limited SEO needs. If you want more keywords included in your plan, you can scale up to over 5,000 keywords for $450 per month.
- Screaming Frog - an SEO website crawling and auditing tool that can be combined with custom filters to provide additional insights.
- DeepCrawl - a little more expensive than some of its competitors, DeepCrawl goes further into your site and provides you with recommendations to help you prioritize your technical SEO website issues.
These tools all have a starting price that is less than the all-inclusive platforms, but the trade off is that you might need multiple tools, and more time and effort to provide a unified view of the data you need.
Recommended Reading: Compare Multiple Tools to One SEO Platform
What About Free SEO Tools?
If you do not have the budget to invest in SEO tech, you could opt for free SEO tools like Google Search Console, Google Analytics and Keyword Planner.
These options are good for certain tasks, like coming up with ideas for keywords, checking search volume, understanding organic search traffic and monitoring your site indexation.
However, they come with limitations including: they only base their data on Google searches, you might not always be able to find low-competition keywords and there could be gaps in the data that make it difficult to know which information to trust.
You’ll also have to spend time downloading and combining data to create a single, meaningful report. This approach is probably best suited to your business if you only undertake occasional SEO research or are just want to understand your overall visibility, but don’t have the resources to execute an SEO roadmap.
There are also many other free tools out there, some even as browsers plug ins. Many free ranking tools can provide you ranking data, but as a one-time rank check, or you can leverage the incognito window in Chrome to do a search to find out where you may be ranking.
Whether you want to get started with a rank tracking tool as a first step or you’re ready to dive into the data, gain valuable insight and act on a roadmap, there’s an SEO platform for you.
Don't forget: if you’re ready to scale your SEO with a comprehensive, all-in-one platform, use our evaluation template to compare and contrast the different SEO tools to help you reach an informed decision.
We've also laid out some key differences between us and other top SEO software companies:
Once you gather all your research and are ready to see the power of the only all-in-one SEO platform built to scale for SEO success, schedule a demo with our team to see how seoClarity can work for you.